View Single Post

Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 7,201 Times in 3,064 Posts

I never was in the military but flunked more physicals trying to get in than I can remember. So maybe I dont deserve to even give a opinion. That said, I will anyway. If a man wanted to be a airline pilot and had to foot the cost of training himself, hardly nobody but a trump or rockefeller or kennedy could afford it. At todays prices most couldnt or wont lay out the money to learn to fly a single engine cessna!
Pilot training has to cost fortunes in the service. I dont know what the rule is how long a pilot is obligated to stay in once they are taught, anyone here know? If they get out and a airline job they can make a fortune on the outside with their experiance that they got paid to learn.
The flip side is you can get a heart condition or whatever and not be able to pass the physical and there you stand with your education!
I had a BIL that did just that. He did I think 8 or 12 years, got out, not a bit of bennies, and died with a heart attack at about 45 years old! Had he had been putting into a 401K, probley my sister might not be splitting the rent with two grown sons today at 73 years old!
I dont know the details on the proposal, but might not this be a good thing?