View Single Post

Old 08-17-2011, 05:47 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,970 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hondo44 View Post
There were 213 targets marked M36-1 made c. 1975 but supposedly had sq butts.
Well, I stand corrected. I had been speaking off the top of my head, and hadn't recalled there being any, but I do now see the reference to them in SCSW. One of those would be a great find.

That said (and my humble pie on the issue eaten), I'm still not as keen on this gun as some of you other guys are. I'll grant that a minimal, if any, premium was paid for the work done on it, and I can see how it's a desirable configuration. But it's not in the class of, say, the Pope barrelled M&P target recently discussed in another thread. I'm not a purist opposed to customizing guns per se, but when considering the worth of non-factory modifications, craftsmanship counts, and I think despite some of the work being well done on this one, the rest sounds pretty amateurish, even if it can be remediated. It seems, in general, that ultimately collectors mostly want guns that haven't been played with, and the ones that have are relegated to the status of curiosities. Maybe the passage of years will endow this altered piece with a bit of cachet' but I suspect that will not be in our lifetimes. In the meanwhile, if it shoots well and you're deriving enjoyment from it, well then, I wish this gun's new owner all the best.
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"