View Single Post

Old 08-18-2011, 12:32 AM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Sling and Sling Mount options

Hey all, I'm new to the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. I'm convinced that I need a sling for my M&P 15-22. It will primarily be used for plinking/range time and such, and I'm looking at two-point slings. Since the gun is super light, I'm not too concerned about something with padding, but a wide strap and/or bungee would be nice (not essential).

I've been doing some research here and on other forums/web-sites, and I've narrowed it down to what seem to be the three standout slings that everyone recommends:
Vickers Combat Application Sling (VCAS) - $50.00
Viking Tactical (VTAC) - $35 (original) / $40 (wide, padded)
Irene Adaptive Sling (IAS) - $35

Is it really just apples to apples between them? Honestly, I don't see much of a difference between the VCAS and the VTAC. The IAS though is more unique...

I really like the IAS because it's able to quickly convert from one-point to two-point. But it can't actually be shot in the two-point position because the webbing is too short. (In two-point mode, it does seem a lot more secure to your body though) So you ONLY use two-point for transporting the weapon and all the shooting is done in one-point mode. Should I care though? Which do you guys prefer shooting with, a one-point or two-point sling?

Then as far as attachment, since the M&P 15-22 isn't a normal AR, the receiver and buffer tube is actually one piece, so I can't install a sling plate there. (I didn't get the MOE version which comes with one installed) The IAS comes with a nylon buffer tube sling mount that will work, but they recommend a rigid mount instead... That pretty much makes my argument for the IAS and its one-point capability a moot point, huh? I would have to buy a clamp-on sling mount to run a one-point setup.

So I'd really likely just use a rear stock mount and a front rail sling attachment unless I decided to get creative with a clamp-on single-point mount or something... As far as sling mounts, I figured I'd just get a Magpul RSA for the front, but should I consider some type of QD swivel instead? What's the advantage there?

There's a ton of stuff to consider, so any advice would be helpful.