View Single Post

Old 08-18-2011, 09:17 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 241 Times in 98 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
It's interesting that the "fix" was a short, wide extractor, but then they went to a narrow extractor on the 39-2 model.

Didn't the short-wide extractor end up on some of the second-gen pistols, like the 439 or 539 ? They must have found some ISP spares laying around

At the risk of totally hi-jacking this thread, my 39 no-dash 316xx has a slide stop lever that sticks out of the frame on the right side well past the vertical plane of the slide, but the 39-2 is pretty much even with the edge of the slide. Is that normal, or do I have an improper replacement in the 39 ?

Back on topic - nice ISP 39 ! I doubt I'll ever run across one of those way out here in the upper left corner, but it's something I look for.
The early 2nd gens with the short wide extractors were another story altogether. Basically S&W wanted a better extractor. The stories I have heard are that it is a reliable extractor, but not any better than the long skinny style, so they stuck with the old "its not broke, so lets not fix it".

On your slide stop, most no-dashes I have seen have the longer slide stop, mine included. I'm not sure about why, but it is one of the 39-2 changes.

Now back on topic .... The ISP Model 39's were a unique side story in the 39 series, and leads to the adoption of the 59 series and the "wonder-nines" that came later. They are a nice piece of history that is often forgotten by the gun history people. Keep that one in good shape, but don't just let it sit either. They are great guns.