View Single Post

Old 08-20-2011, 03:56 PM

Liked 1,477 Times in 594 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muley Gil View Post
If you take a modern S&W revolver, you can cock the hammer and LIGHTLY touch the trigger, and the gun will not fire. My instructor at the police academy showed us that, using a pencil to "bump" the trigger. The trigger has to be held back at the moment of firing to make the firing pin to protrude through the recoil shield and strike the primer. Otherwise, the block keeps the hammer back enough to prevent firing.

If you disassemble a Smith and look at how the hammer block moves during the single or double action cycle, it is easy to see.
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but my 28-2 6" seems to have a hammer block issue. Double action is quite heavy, but single action will fire if you breathe hard. I mean, it seems like just resting your finger on the trigger will fire it. I hear a little rattle inside, and when I pulled off the sideplate the hammer block is loose. When I cock the gun to see what the hammer block is doing, it doesn't line up like you are describing; it just kind of moves around like it has no purpose at all. I looked at a schematic and it does appear to be in the proper place; it's just loose.

Or should I just copy this question into a new post in the gunsmithing section?