View Single Post

Old 08-22-2011, 01:20 PM

Liked 700 Times in 392 Posts

The Magna grips are retro-cool, but were never very good for shooting. They are much wider at the butt than at the top, so they tend to slip downward in your hand. The shape is not favorable to a high, two-handed grip, rather intended for single-hand shooting in vogue 50 years ago.

If you want to preserve the retro look, by all means keep the Magna grips. For shooting, though, I recommend Ahrends or Hogue grips.

Hogue grips have a palm swell, but are fairly thin overall. Monogrips attach with a single screw through the base, and are easy to keep tight. They're good for double action and work well with smaller hands, but I find the most comfortable position is about 1/4" lower than ideal for muzzle control. The grips are fairly uniform in thickness from front to back, and don't ride up. You don't have to adjust your grip after each shot.

I prefer Ahrends grips for shooting magnum revolvers. I have their modern Tactical grips (finger grooves) on one N frame, and the Retro Combat grips on another. Neither are checkered, and give excellent control. The web of my thumb rides comfortably just below the break, which gives a little more felt recoil but a lot less muzzle flip.

The modern style have a flat front which really locks in. However, the square filler edge rests on my middle finger, and I get a blister after 50 rounds or so of .44 Mag. A hit with a drum sander, followed by fine sanding and Tung oil, will take care of that (when I get around to it).

The Retro grips are round in front, and never bite my hand. Perhaps a little less control, but good shooters nonetheless.