View Single Post

Old 08-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Absent Comrade

Liked 13,198 Times in 2,860 Posts
Default Often overlooked gem : Model 915

I took my Performance Center enhanced model 915 out for a spin yesterday. As I've posted here before, this 915 was made in 1993 for then S&W academy Chief Mr. Bert DuVernay.

He had it put through the Performance Center for a trigger job and while it was there, the PC cut the slide for Novak low Mount night sights. While I've always found the 915 to be a fine looking pistol, the Novak sights make it look very nice indeed. To me, it is the image my mind conjurs up when I think "semi auto pistol".

Novaks did a special model 915 for a few years. It had the slide cut for low mount sights, Barsto match grade barrel, duty trigger job and reliability package, matting on the front strap and refinish in Black-T. Called the "Novak's Full House + 915, the price was around $1200. I looked for one for years without any luck. I'd still like to come across one.

My 915 is the most accurate 9mm I currently own. It will keep 15 rounds of Winchester White box inside a 3" Shoot-N-Cee target at 15 yards. Every time I take it to an IDPA match it makes me look good.......and gets mistaken for a Sig!!

I picked up a couple of MecGar 17 round mags for it. They work flawlessly. I also put the curved backstrap grip on and slid a "Glock sock" over it. The palm swells on the Glock sock combined with the curved backstrap grip make it fit my hand perfectly.

Reliable, accurate and looks good doing all that. Metal frame and a hammer! Why anyone would pay much more than what 915's bring and get less gun, is beyond me. Regards 18DAI.
The Following 2 Users Like Post: