View Single Post

Old 08-23-2011, 12:08 PM

Liked 234 Times in 147 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9399NOLES View Post
You should take a look at the 686 SSR (standard stock revolver) it is slightly upgraded to make it competition worthy, has a 4" barrel and is 6 shot so it's great for competitive shooting. BUT from my research alot of people seem to think the 5" barrel is what you want for that. And there is a 686 pro series with a 5" barrel. But it holds 7 rounds. Personally I'm all about the 686 ssr.
FYI:

SSR = Stock Service Revolver

The 5" guns (or longer) are what the high-speed folks use in USPSA. However, IDPA limits revoivlers to 4 1/4" bbl length, so the 4" is the way to go for all-around game use.

Of course the high-end competitiors in USPSA don't use a 686 either; they use a 625 there. 625s work well in IDPA ESR division, too, but then again the 4" bbl is what's needed.

The little USPSA shooting I do I use a 686. I have no delusions of being a high-end shooter. I'm competitive and competent, but I'm not about competing regionally or nationally in USPSA so I just take some joy in beating half the bottom feeders with a 686 when I do shoot it.

I went the 686 route as I wanted a 38. If one wanted a .45 then the 625 is the way to go. I wouldn't let the game dictate that choice. If one gets really serious about competition they can easily justify a new purchase.