View Single Post

Old 08-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Banned

Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Honestly, your best bet is to buy a few and try a few. Not the cheapest way to go, admittedly, but ultimately the most effective. I, too, found the factory targets too big to get a comfortable grip, though some of the finger groove round-butt grips did feel pretty good on round-butt guns I've tried (I don't own any, though). I don't have tiny hands, but definitely don't have large hands, so Magnas and even pre-Magna service stocks have worked well for me. I've tried both with and without a Tyler T, and find that I don't need it to make Magna/Service grips work for me on an N-frame.

There are differences between makers in the profile of their magna-style grips, so you may find that to be relevant to your shopping.

Mr. Grashorn's no-bark elk anter grips are, by far, the most comfortable grips I've ever owned on any gun that isn't a 1911. A touch wider than factory Magnas, they fit and point in my hand perfectly.

I have been VERY pleased with the feel and behavior of the Ahrends RetroCombat for a shooter, though they give up something in the way of the vintage look of magnas or service stocks. Being narrow and of nearly uniform thickness top to bottom, they seem to discourage the gun from twisting or shifting about when firing heavy loads:

These magnas from from Kurac replaced the Ahrends for my Model 29 "woods gun" and while they do at times let the gun twist some in my hand between multiple-shot strings with full-house loads, their looks won out. They are also a touch narrower and less tapered than other magnas I've owned, which works really well for me: