View Single Post

Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 PM

Liked 15,516 Times in 6,802 Posts
Thumbs down Experience with FEMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadAye View Post
And, even stranger, you get this warning from a twit that doesn't have enough sense to be out of the rain.

The other bunch that really torques me up are the "Why is FEMA taking so long to save us?" pack of *****s

Working for State Govt, I and many others went in after the Big Ones here in Florida to provide relief efforts. We where there for several days when FEMA came rolling in with a beyond full size semi tractor trailer and giant top of the line CAB (can't remember the name brand) but it was one of the best.

These quys (5 or more) were going to set up a phone and computer bank in the small building we were using when we were done. So they sat around doing nothing.

As I was a Supervisor I asked to see inside the tractor trailer. Well you guys would have died!!
It was like something the President would travel in.!!

It had a full size Oak conference tables, Giant wide screen Flat Plasma TV, top of the line chairs. Individual cubbyholes with phones, computers, full kitchen, bathrooms, Giant Sat dish and on and on.

It sat there running with the generators going and the A/C running for days and was not used for a single thing!!.

Besides setting up the phones, they where there to hand out blue tarps. Only problem was, they did not have them yet and this area was mostly mobile homes and there was nothing to put tarps on, they where all gone!!
When we were leaving they started putting brand new chairs and tables in the small arena type building we had been using. What was wrong with the chairs and tables that were in there allready?? We used them just fine?

These people needed water, food and a covered roof to sleep in. There was no electric power for days/weeks.

They had nothing to begin with and now whatever it was ...gone!!

Back to the FEMA guys, they sat around trying to talk with us while we were working 12-16 hour days out in the heat and humidity, the local Sheriff Deputies where also helping us and I final asked if they could have those guys go sit in their fancy truck and watch TV or something.

After another storm (Charley) FEMA set up a mobile home park right off I-75 for those that lost their homes. It worked well for a while but then they wanted them back even though the folks still had no homes. They started kicking people out but the mobiles just sat there for at least a year and deteriorated so they were useless to be used again.

FEMA has the most money and has no idea of when and how to use it correctly.

OK, I'm done now.