View Single Post

Old 09-01-2011, 10:00 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,047 Times in 4,758 Posts

Yes, there are. I don't have any handy but you see them now and then. I don't recall ever seeing one of him wearing just the .357. Normally, the photos show him wearing both the Colt and the RM.

The Patton Museum of Cavalry and Armor has the most complete collection of Signal Corps photos of General Patton that I know of, which used to be at Fort Knox. The last time I was there, they had 13 binders of photos, and one could make copies if he had his own equipment with him. I made it through 6 or 7 of the binders in the time I had, and I always intended to go back and finish the job, but haven't made it yet.

The museum had both the Colt and the S&W on display when I was there, but I thought I heard recently that some of his guns had been "given" to West Point. The web still says the Colt is at Fort Knox, so possibly the family has given ownership of the guns to West Point, but they still are located at Fort Knox... ?

I am not even sure the museum (as I saw it) is still at Fort Knox, as I recall reading that it was being moved (possibly to Georgia - ?). But if it is still there, and you want to see the material, you have to write ahead for an appointment/permission. The net still shows the museum as being at Fort Knox, so I am a bit confused. In any case, a phone call would straighten that out. When I called, more than a few years ago now, the curator was very cordial and seemed happy to provide access to the photos, some of which were excellent, probably the result of a photographer that really knew his way around a Speed Graphic.

Last edited by M29since14; 09-03-2011 at 08:27 AM.