View Single Post

Old 09-01-2011, 04:40 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

I bought a 610-2 4" new shortly after they came out in that barrel length and it's been my most used match revolver. 610s are not rare. It's just that the demand for them is too low to keep them in continuous production. S&W lets them sell out then lets demand build up for 3-5 years before doing another production run. At the moment most internet 610 sales are running $900-$1000 which is almost double what I paid for mine. You were lucky to find one priced reasonably. I believe that you have the least common variety of 4 inch 610 as most dash threes have fluted cylinders. My guess is that they used up some left over unfluted cylinders when they started dash 3 production. So far as I know that doesn't add value above what other 4 inchers sell for, but it might some day. Actually, if it's an investment, I'd sell it now. Every production run immediately floods the market. Just ask the owner of any large gun store how many he could sell per year when they were available. However, I'm hanging on to mine as long as I continue to use it, and maybe till I'm buried. It's owners like me that make 610 prices spike between production runs.

Oh, clips. The Rimz clips are plastic while most are blued metal. I've only used metal. Rimz clips are easier to put cartridges into and remove cases from at the expensive of being an assembly that easily looses cartridges if dropped. I find it easiest to load full moon clips by laying cartridges in a shallow groove on top of my plastic tool box/shooting box and pressing down with my strong side thumb inserted through the middle of a the clip while holding the clip with my off hand. I like the hollow tube type demooner that you twist.