View Single Post

Old 09-02-2011, 12:48 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 10,047 Times in 4,758 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Star View Post
Has anyone seen a photo of Field Marshal Erwin Rommel wearing a gun? I haven't.
Yes, many of them. In fact, Rommel seemed to typically keep two handguns close by, which I presume were worn according to his uniform (field or dress). The few written references to them are vague. One was almost certainly a Luger or P38, most likely a Luger (judging from the shape of the holster). The other is usually referred to as "a smaller one," or an "8-millimeter." (That 8mm stuff may or may not have any basis in fact.) A guess would be that the other pistol was very likely a 7.65mm PP or PPK.

There is a story of Rommel using a handgun to kill game in the North African desert. Rather unsporting, unfortunately. It said he and his staff would drive along beside the fleeing animal and shoot at it until it succumbed. War is a messy business, even for critters not involved in the process.

I have read that Rommel had both of his handguns in his home the day the assassins came to poison him. His aid was also present and had a rifle and a few cartridges. It is said they discussed resisting, but the FM declined because he was certain it would result in the death of his wife and son.

So there are many written references - and pictures of him wearing pistols, but none of the detailed info as there is surrounding General Patton's firearms. And I have never seen any indications that Rommel was an enthusiastic handgun marksman, which General Patton indisputably was.