View Single Post

Old 09-02-2011, 11:07 PM
US Veteran

Liked 6,195 Times in 2,575 Posts

Just recently, and from time to time over the years, I have seen someone, usually selling something, refering to "old pearl handles" and hustling a "tribute" glitzed up 1911 as if it had some connection to the Patton legacy, and then saying something like, "yeah, here's one for you history buffs." Right, he was a Cavalryman, carried revolvers from when the cav actually rode horses, and had ivory grips on them, stating that pearl handles were "for pimps."

On George C. Scott-I think he did a fine job in the movie, but right before my bunch took off from Ft. Lewis to go to Nam, they hearded us into a room, and showed us the "patton speech scene" from the movie. While quite well done by scott, I thought that if they were going to send us off with a "movie" that it would have been of someone "real." But then, there weren't that many of those available, evidently.

Regarding the gentleman who learned english after comming to America: I worked with a man back in the early 70's, who worked for Omar Bradley doing behind the lines stuff in WWII because he spoke perfect German, looked like a German, and was in fact, a German. He said that when his family got off the boat from Germany, he was 9 years old, and when they got into a cab at the docs, the cab driver, who was African American, turned to ask his dad in the back seat where he wanted to go. Felix said he was so startled he soiled himself. He had never seen a black person, nor even knew that black people existed. Culture Shock. Flapjack.