View Single Post

Old 09-03-2011, 05:53 PM

Liked 5,242 Times in 2,483 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter123 View Post
[...] One model that I really wish they had made is a 610 Mountain Gun with a tapered semi lugged barrel. [...]
I'd buy a new 610 Mountain Gun in a heart beat! While we're dreaming we may as well dream of S&W drilling the hole in the frame midway between where they are in 6 and 8 shot N frames to make us 7 shot 610 Mountain Guns. Non of that is likely to happen. 10mms wouldn't sell well enough to stay in production in either autos or revolvers.

Incidentally, since we're talking about S&Ws rather than some other brand, Mountain Guns have ejector rod shrouds, not half or partial lugs. The only S&Ws that I'm aware of that have half lugs are 686s. Sorry to be bitchy, but this terminology is a pet peeve of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired LTC, USAR View Post
How much more weight is an unfluted cylinder than a fluted one?
Not much. We're mostly talking theory about accelerated wear from heavier cylinders, but I think it's sound theory. The weight difference is going to vary based on the age of the fluted cylinder. S&W used to cut nice attractive deep flutes. They changed to shallow flutes in the mid 1990s presumably to cut down machining time. I'd prefer that a member with an electronic scale post a comparison of fluted vs. non-fluted cylinder weights. My old fashioned beam powder scale doesn't go high enough. The only scale I could use is an antique food scale that does give me an accurate count on a coffee can of cast bullets but is no match for a modern electronic scale.

In addition to reduced wear, cylinder flutes have two more important advantages. First, less weight also reduces DA trigger pull. The old speed trick shooter Bill Jordan used to write how a K frame's light cylinder weight gave K frames easier DA pulls than N frames. That big a difference I can feel in the DA pull myself. Lastly, flutes aid in closing the cylinder with a chamber in line with the barrel, and especially aids aligning a partially loaded cylinder so that all the cartridges fire before an empty rotates to the top. That's significant firing revolvers with more than six charge holes in matches with rules that don't allow loading more than 6 cartridges.

Last edited by k22fan; 09-03-2011 at 10:34 PM. Reason: clarity