View Single Post

Old 09-03-2011, 06:08 PM

Liked 6,614 Times in 2,198 Posts

I'll second what SW CQB 45 wrote.

Personally, I wouldn't use Rem Oil on anything more critical than a lawnmower. To each their own.

Initial thoughts?

Use better ammunition. Really.

Make sure your wrist is locked. (Yes, a BIG strong man can still shoot with a loosely supported grip, and /or an unlocked wrist, and experience grip-stability functioning issues. Don't hold the pistol like it's a single action revolver, for instance.)

If you can't see the oil and/or grease along the length of the frame & slide rails, on the barrel (especially at the muzzle end) & full length guide rod, as well as on the pivoting barrel link ... or at least feel it with your finger tips if you touch those surfaces ... you might be running a dry gun.

Magazines ought to be fine. (I've run ACT-Mags with both the standard springs as used by S&W and with the extra power springs used by Wolff, who uses the ACT-Mags as their mag line.) However ... did you disassemble them and clean them, removing any packing/shipping oil, especially if congealed and dried inside the tube, leaving them smooth, clean & DRY inside?

Sometimes a new shooter (to a gun model/caliber) may require "break in" more than the gun. BTDT.

My SW1911SC 5" ran perfectly reliably from the very first round, digesting a number of different ball and JHP loads (4-5 JHP types, as I recall), but it was all factory-fresh, good quality ammunition. I don't use budget/bargain ammunition if at all possible, and avoid most imported ammunition. I like monotonous, boring reliability - even just for range training & practice - and if using better quality ammunition is required to help achieve that ... I'm not adverse to buying better ammo.

I also cleaned and sufficiently lubed the gun prior to its first range trip (not excessively, but sufficiently).

Just my thoughts. Dunno what's happening with your gun, though. Not there.