View Single Post

Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 1,970 Times in 508 Posts

Arizona is anything but one uniform climate. People who haven't lived here equate Phoenix or Lake Havasu with Arizona weather, but it is instead a crazy quilt dependent largely on elevation.

If you lived in Flagstaff, you might mistake winter there for the same season in Wisconsin. It never gets to 100 up there, even in the height of summer. There are several other spots in the central and northern parts of the state that could make the same claim.

I live 50 miles from Tucson and just 50 miles north of the international border. At my elevation of 4600 feet, I usually have a handful of 100 degree days a year, and it's that hot only for an hour or two in the late afternoon, and they're characterized by single digit humidity. Actually, it's been a hotter summer than usual, so maybe this year I've had 10 such days. That's a far cry from the Valley of the Sun or a Colorado River community where it might be that hot by 10 in the morning and not dip down back below that before midnight - for months on end.

I get snow 2-3 times a year, the pics below typical of how much at a time (these were from a mid-March storm, one showing my back yard, the other the front). The snow is usually pretty much gone in a day, certainly no snow shovel or blower required.

I'll take my climate right here where I am, thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 311 002.jpg (58.9 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg 311 003.jpg (58.3 KB, 29 views)
SWCA #590
"Colligo ergo sum"