View Single Post

Old 09-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Liked 106 Times in 70 Posts

Lee's names are pretty confusing. The original is the Lee Turret. It is a cast aluminum base with cast lever and some other parts. It started as a three hole turret, then you could buy a kit to update it to a four hole turret. Not sure if it was originally auto-indexing or if that was an update.

The Lee Classic Turret is the newer model. It is made of cast iron, uses a 4 hole turret and comes with auto-indexing, and the hole down the center of the ram to catch spent primers as they are ejected. It is a VERY good press and works extremely well with the primer system and the PRO Auto Disk (not to be confused with the Auto Disk.)

The LCT is frequently on sale, and IIRC is right now at Cabelas. If you need all the stuff I believe Wiedners has, or will make up a package with everything you need. I would highly recommend that as a basic purchase you would need the LCT, priming system, Pro Auto Disk, a turret for each set of dies you are going to use, and a couple of the adjustable charge bars for the Pro Auto Disk.

After being out of reloading for about 40 years, the auto-indexing turret was a complete mystery to me. I am an accountant and not really mechanically inclined, however, I am used to reading and following instructions. I had no concept of how the Pro Auto Disk, or the priming system worked. After a short time of looking and tinkering I got everything to working. The whole system works marvelously.

It will not form cases, or, turn out 500 rounds an hour, but for normal use it will produce all the quality ammo you need at a very reasonable equipment cost. If you want to form cases you need a heavy duty single stage. If you need lots of ammo you need a progressive.
The Following 3 Users Like Post: