View Single Post

Old 09-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Banned

Liked 1,610 Times in 884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
Both H-110 and 296 are manufactured by St.Marks Powders, formerly Primex Technologies. Several years ago, before Hodgdon became the distributor for Winchester powders, I contacted what was then Primex. I spoke with a production engineer and asked him specifically if they manufactured both, and if there was and difference in specification between them. This was before it was general knowledge that they are identical. He was somewhat hesitant, since this would have been proprietary information, but finally stated that they were identical to the point that shipments to both Winchester and Hodgdon can come from the same production lot! You can't get any more "Identical" than that!!!!!!
St. Marks was at one time owned by Olin , parent company of Winchester. I think they are now owned by General Dynamics.

FWIW , neither Winchester or Hodgdon ever MADE powder. Winchester is merely a leased trademark brand. Olin Chemical made the powders. IMR was owned by DuPont. Don't know who owns them now. And Hodgdon got into the powder & reloading business by buying and repackaging huge lots of Govt surplus powders. Hodgdon is now the distributor for Winchester , IMR and Hodgdon brand powders. And from what I hear , much of the canister grade powders sold to reloaders is now made overseas.