View Single Post

Old 09-06-2011, 10:56 PM

Liked 8,820 Times in 3,518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by semperfi71 View Post
I'm back. I still contend H-110 and W-296 are NOT the same powders.

So when someone posts, "Which powder should I use H-110 or W296?" Then someone posts, "Either, they are the same."

I contend that is the incorrect response.

Same for H110 and W296. One may be more accurate than the other, I do not care if both canisters left the same factory, from the same supplier, in the same truck, with only different labels on the one pound can. They are most likely to produce different results at the range.
[This is one of the most illogical comments I have ever seen posted]

In ALL cases accuracy ALWAYS differed between H110 and W296.

I then did not know that H110 and W296 were the same as they left the factory. This being before the internet and all of its "experts".

To wrap it up I'll say it again, H110 and W296 ARE not the same powders, not at the shooting bench where it matters.
I have no doubt you sincerely believe this baloney. Go back and re-read (or likely read for the first time) my earlier post above. You are doing nothing but express your own opinion, not fact. Certainly there lot-to-lot variations in every propellant made, and there may be small differences in accuracy as a result, but I find it extremely hard to believe that you have consistently gotten better accuracy with either H-110 or 296, especially if you don't have access to a Ransom Rest that could give definitive proof.

What I posted is not my opinion! I got tired of all the arguments both ways and wanted to KNOW te correct answer. I started with Winchester customer service to determine if Winchester/Olin (which owned the Winchester name) sold powder to Hodgdon. I was told that the actual manufacturer was Primex Technologies, and was provided with a contact phone number.

I called Primex, now St Marks, and explained what I wished to know. I was transferred to one of their production engineers, whose name I no longer have, and asked him directly if 296 and H-110 are both manufactured by this company, he answered yes! Further I asked if there were different specifications depending on if sold to Winchester or Hodgdon, the answer was NO. He went on to say that powder from the same production lot would be shipped to either depending on how much was ordered. This is not merely similar, it is absolutely identical!!!

If you choose to believe there is a difference that is your business, but the sum of the difference is strictly between your ears. Quit trying to make proselytes, you are not doing anyone a service by trying to convince others of your ridiculous belief.