View Single Post

Old 09-07-2011, 01:19 PM
US Veteran

Liked 517 Times in 202 Posts

reduced SS is due to The two rules that cover government employees are the "windfall elimination provision" (WEP) and the "government pension offset" (GPO). The WEP applies to workers, and the GPO applies to government pensioners who are applying for Social Security spousal and survivor benefits.

I retired in 1991. Applied for SS at 62 was placed on disability benefits by SS as I was receiving radiation and chemo for stage 4 cancer. Payments were reduced by 2/3 because of GPO. At 65 I was placed on regular SS and medicare. Pay for medicare out of SS. I net $105/m.

Pay about $500/m for supplemental health coverage even though most of my care is with the VA (wife has pre existing heart problems)
it's a must have.
Two years ago city took fire and police pensions to court claiming negotiated agreements in the mid 90's were wrong and miscalculated;
my pension was cut $345/m and they expect police and fire to repay roughly $63k (police) and $42K per retiree. A plan has been put forward that would place us all in a state plan where we wouldn't have to repay.

This is going on all over the country public employee pensions are the scape goat.