View Single Post

Old 09-07-2011, 04:41 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts

ArchAngelCD...go back and read my previous posts more closely.

I'm happy that everyone agrees with me that H110 and W296 are the same manufactured powders according to all known sources. I never spoke otherwise.

I do maintain that when shot from the bench, ALL powders MAY show different accuracy levels and other factors even if of the same make. The differences caused by the powder lots.

Therefore these "same" powders are not the same at the target range. Evidentially due to lot differences.

Therefore, when someone posts, "Are H110 and W296 the same powders?" I say no, not when you shoot them out of your handgun. You may get different levels of accuracy and even velocity (probably minor I assume). And the levels of accuracy can be quite different as posted in my original post, brought back to life by someone else.

W296 is most accurate in some loads and H110 is most accurate in some loads, as is 2400 and AA9. But you will not know this unless you experiment. If your handgun shoots both powders equally accurate then you have the luck of a more versatile handgun.

Once again, most of us do not have access to a Ransom Rest. Since 1972 I have consistently seen almost all gunwriters and fellow shooters test loads with two hands over a solid rest. If one powder groups 1 1/4 inches and the other groups 4 inches I think its safe to say which is most accurate for ME in MY handgun since I am doing the shooting.

I am not a competitive target shooter, but I am trained quite well in sight picture, sight alignment, trigger squeeze, and flinch control. And my eyes are not as sharp as they were in 1972 but they still are sharp enough. If I shoot as I say I do for accuracy, I am solid convinced that the target and handgun is not lying.

There's enough difference on paper that ALL powders should be tested before an individual says he/she has the MOST accurate load for his/her handgun.

That's why all of these powders that are the same from the manufacturer can sometimes not be the same at the target range. It's due to lot differences.

You may well find that your pound of H110 is accurate. Then you shoot it all up. The next pound of H110 is of another lot. Your pet load may go south as well. It may not. But you will not know this unless you shoot it for accuracy.