View Single Post

Old 09-07-2011, 08:43 PM

Liked 336 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JcMack View Post
In six months I will be 65, and will go on medicare. (God wllin' and the crik don't rise) If pre existing conditions apply to qualify for the additional "parts" I'm in trouble. I've been on SS since 62. I get 62% of a pension I receive from the company I worked for and took an early out from. I live in Indiana and they tax pensions like regular income. My understanding is union jobs are covered by union pensions. Railroad workers are a whole nuther deal. (my legal opinion) Union people or railroaders either pay no SS or pay a reduced amount while working. When you apply for SS if you fall in those categories your SS payment is reduced. This whole mixed up mess is really biting some people in the butt. I get a partial bite in the butt. I know, blah, blah, blah, so what.
If you get a supplemental within six months of being medicare eligible, they cannot hold anything against you and you will be assumed to be in great health. All they can ask you is your name, DOB and address. If you are outside that six month window, pre existing condtions will apply and not be covered. The six month window is very important.

Also, medicare starts the first day of the month you turn 65 so sign up for it before that date. My DOB is in October but I signed up yesterday, some 20+ days early since I wanted it to begin 10/01/11. Had I waited until October to sign up, it would not have began until the first of November.