View Single Post

Old 09-08-2011, 03:57 PM
US Veteran

Liked 1,116 Times in 409 Posts

Reading Comprehension Class 101.

From my very first post last year:
"Yes, many reports, here and elsewhere, have stated that the powders are the same and that H-110 is actually W-296 but only shipped to Hodgdon’s and packaged by them as H-110. Or maybe packaged somewhere else and sold by Hodgdon’s. However it “becomes” H-110 does not matter to me. I like both powders.

I do not contend that anyone, including the factory representatives are lying…or obscuring the truth….or drinking to excess.

But, I do contend that both powders are different, as to accuracy and as to loading quantities. Several reloading manuals will show different load weights for different velocities and different load weights for maximum pressures."

WHICH MEANS W296 AND H110 ARE THE SAME POWDERS AS MANUFACTURED BUT MAY DIFFER AT THE SHOOTING BENCH.

My subsequent post:
"I'm back. I still contend H-110 and W-296 are NOT the same powders.

Strictly due to the fact that loaded side-by-side in "all-other-factors-in-the-same-loads" you WILL get different results.

Your velocities will vary as will your accuracy. Same with HP38 and W231. Or any other "same" powder with a different name.

The reason as stated here elsewhere...powder lot differences.

So when someone posts, "Which powder should I use H-110 or W296?" Then someone posts, "Either, they are the same."

I contend that is the incorrect response.

For many years the manuals posted different data for the two powders. Now it appears a number of manuals post the same data. However they will vary in actual use."

WHICH MEANS W296 AND H110 ARE THE SAME POWDERS AS MANUFACTURED BUT MAY DIFFER AT THE SHOOTING BENCH.

My subsequent post:
"I'm happy that everyone agrees with me that H110 and W296 are the same manufactured powders according to all known sources. I never spoke otherwise.

I do maintain that when shot from the bench, ALL powders MAY show different accuracy levels and other factors even if of the same make. The differences caused by the powder lots.

Therefore these "same" powders are not the same at the target range. Evidentially due to lot differences."

My subsequent post:
"I have reported how the two powders H110 and W296 have done in MY handguns with MY shooting. Therefore in MY experience the two powders differ at the shooting bench ONLY.

As far as the reported "convoluted logic", yes, if two canisters of the same named powder are shot, and they come from different powder lots, the accuracy CAN/POSSIBLY be affected. This has happened to me and to others as well."

My subsequent post:
"In my very first thread, brought to life again here by one other than me in his/her vanity as to their supreme knowledge, I HAVE ALWAYS STATED THAT H110 AND W296 ARE PROBABLY/OR ARE THE SAME MANUFACTURED POWDERS AS THEY LEAVE THE ORIGINAL FACTORY.

I go on to state, what is reported by other sources on this forum, in loading manuals, and in gun reporting lore, THAT EVEN THE VERY SAME POWDER BUT IN DIFFERENT LOTS, VARIATIONS CAN EXIST AS TO BURN RATE, VELOCITIES, AND...."ACCURRACY"."

My subsequent post:
"I will state again what I stated in the first long ago thread and here...H110 and W296 may/are the same powders from the factory. BUT based on MY USAGE ONLY (nobody else's) at the shooting bench I have found differences in accuracy levels. Somebody else might have different results...I am happy for them."

mkk41: I have continually also stated that I suspect/believe the difference in the accuracy is from lot differences of the powder, as in H110 lot #456 may not shoot as well as W296 lot #2345.

My data:
"Speer 158 grain HP: H110-4 1/4 inches, 2400-2 7/8 inches, W-296-1 1/4 inches, AA9-3 1/2 inches"
WHEN THIS HAPPENS I WILL ALWAYS SHOOT W296 FOR THIS LOAD. Regardless of the variables that day. As long as I held steady...and I did.

Posted by Rule3:
"It is not called "gunpowder" anymore. It's smokeless powder
Just kidding, please do not take it seriously."

By me: I never take much of anything seriously anymore other than food portions.

There is one fly in the mix to my "experiences" with H110 and W296. I should have shot 20 shot groups for each load. Five shots per load and making a judgement is not truly "test" enough. BUT I am cheap, and my time has to be spent elsewhere. AND ALMOST ALL the gunwriters used to shoot the same five shots and call it good. So did I.

I never said anything other than essentially, "This is what happened to me and may be an indication that points to possible differences in accuracy of the supposedly same powders." I then suggested that if others want the most accurate load they have to experiment with ALL powders.

As an aside I took my K22 Combat Masterpiece and shot five shot groups with a variety of .22 LR loads. The best 5 shot group became my chosen ammo. Then I went back and shot 20 shot groups of all of the same different brands of ammo. The same brand of ammo was still the most accurate.

One gun, one guy, one day, with one set of variables. I ain't going back to see how well all of the different loads shoot when I am cold, hot, wet, hungover, or in my underpants.

Last edited by semperfi71; 09-08-2011 at 04:04 PM.