View Single Post

Old 09-09-2011, 01:55 PM
WW II Vet
Absent Comrade

Liked 8,711 Times in 1,959 Posts

I am 86 years old. I have had two accidents, one in about 1947 when a drunk ran a stop sign and the other about 3 years ago when a 20 year gal with one of those huge 7-11 drink cups blocking her vision made a left turn in front of me. She told the police she didn't even see me. I had one traffic warning ticket in 1946. Never had a regular traffic ticket although I know a few were due.
I hope that I know when the time comes to stop driving. If not, my daughter, who rides with me quite often has instructions to take my keys whether I protest or not. We had a problem with my mother as she was losing her eyesight. She lived in a very small town with little traffic and it took a long time to convince her( had about reached the taking her keys point) to give it up. She finally let me sell her car but it was hard for her to accept.
My wife had to quit driving in 1996 after a stroke slowed her reflexes and took her ability to know her location, even when she was in a location she had been acquainted with. It was very hard for her to accept that she could no longer drive but she knew there was no other choice.
When you lose your ability to drive, you in a sense lose you freedom and that is a tough pill to swallow for anyone.