View Single Post

Old 09-09-2011, 02:12 PM
US Veteran
Absent Comrade

Liked 16,154 Times in 7,408 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinooch View Post
You know your stuff sir! My complements.

I got that years ago from an article by the late Harry Archer, a USAID agent who was an S&W enthusiast who wrote for the now-defunct, "Gunfacts." I also exchanged some letters with him.

Harry had sources at the factory who told him various facts that were seldom otherwise reported.

After he said that, I tried it, and it seemed to be accurate. Keep in mind that you have to hold the front sight level with the rear sight to get those results at that range. Vary front sight exposure for longer ranges.

Thanks for the compliment. BTW, Ruger fixed-sight guns seem to be similarly sighted. Can't speak for Colt. I've had a lot of windage problems with them. The late Col. Chas. Askins bought a bunch of Colt .38's while marksmanship chief for the USBP. He had to slightly turn the barrels on most to get them on target.

I asked why he didn't buy S&W's, as he knew that he'd have that problem with Colts. He said that the S&W sales reps were snobs, while the Colt guys were friendlier! So much for government purchases...

Last edited by Texas Star; 09-09-2011 at 02:16 PM.