View Single Post

Old 09-10-2011, 03:21 PM

Liked 943 Times in 518 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alk8944 View Post
That is a sizing mark from running your cases all the way into a carbide sizing die. That is why the case is bright right up to the line.

Look at your own picture. About 1/16" ahead of the line you will see where the case is expanded slightly larger than the bottom osf the case. This is where the "web" of the case is. the transition from the solid head to the sidewall of the case. The line appears approximately half way down on the solid head, cases DO NOT separate at this point!

When you size your brass you feel a hard "bump" at the end of the downward stroke of the press handle, don't you? This is where the solid head is being forced into the sizing ring. Not only does this size a portion of the case that should not be sized, but if you keep it up you will break the carbide sizing ring in the sizing die.

I might be stepping on some toes, but I can tell you that anyone who saw a problem with this probably has never loaded a cartridge in their life, and their only "experience" is reading magazines and forums like this one.
ALK, You are right. I checked for an internal ridge; and finding none, I sectioned through the case about 1/4" forward of the apparent 'crack'. There was no evidence of thinning, ridging, or cracking inside the case. That mark is below the case walls, in the area coinciding with the solid case head.
My sizing die is adjusted all the way down, until it just contacts the shell plate. Do you recommending backing it off?
By the way, thanks to all who responded with a post.