View Single Post

Old 09-12-2011, 05:59 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Some idle musings: Long ago (well, not that long) David Carroll had a "Franken-gun" for sale. I bought it. Its what appears to be a prewar K32, with a mix of parts. Probably done at the factory if only because I can't figure out where else the barrel and cylinder could come from. Its got a proper centerfire hammer, and it seems to function pretty well. The barrel isn't finished, but it is a prewar K32 barrel. The cylinder appears for all the world to be a genuine K32 cylinder, and its blued as it should be. The gun's frame is also unpoished and unfinished. Stocks look great, but not finish sanded to the grip frame. Roy says its on a page in a book inhabited by K22s. Its also open on company books.

But I just wonder if I borrowed the cylinder/star/extractor rod from the gun and test fitted them to my .32-20 target if it would work. It'd probably make it a very serviceable .32 long with a .32-20 barrel stamp.

OK, it was one of the other threads where someone came in and pointed out you can fire .32 longs in a .32-20 without any gun damage. It does swell cases, but there is enough rim to catch the cylinder and fire just fine. Long cylinder but the right diameter bore. Function is fine, but maybe the extraction is sticky with the bulged cases.

If my above cylinder will fit and time correctly, I've got an even better solution. The only problem being my pristine non-medallion grips would be wrong for the made-up K32. But I could swap in a nice set of 1930's K grips and I'd be good to go.