View Single Post

Old 09-13-2011, 07:46 AM

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by antifederalist22 View Post
Don't take offense to this.
Thanks Antifederalist22! No offence taken at all. That's exactly the kind of feedback I wanted to hear.

The choice of plastic I chose for this is ABS polymer which is popular for its high impact resistance. It needs to be rigid otherwise it can and will slip off the magazine when pulled hard enough.

I have wrapped my magazine up in cloth, exposing only the GRIPP end, and thrown it across the street numerous times. Rough and dirty testing but it survived despite scratches. I feel confident that a typical drop from chest height should not be a concern.

Handling wise I agree that the beer can grip is the best. I've seen the Magpul videos and agree that bobbling can occur if handled just on the end while inserting into the mag well. However I personally feel that this is good accessory to have, especially with deep pouches and gloves, for when you need to pull them out before the beer can grip. Yes it's longer, but 15mm added length in exchange for added function is okay to me.

Point taken on pricing. I haven't mentioned that 25 round magazines here cost $120 a pop! Crazy but true. So for me to have a loop/butt plate at less than 10% the cost of a magazine is justifable. In the US I imagine 25 round mags are between $15-$20?

My investment in tooling has been expensive and, amortized by a small volume of first production batch of 4 colors, cost still remains high. I am a one man effort unlike Magpul who will have production runs into 10s or 100s of thousand units. Piece costs naturally diminish quite quickly when you're looking at larger volumes (not to mention the demand and brand presence extending beyond real firearms into the airsoft market - since they fit both). My GRIPPS is exclusive to just the 15-22 and I'm still in the unknown about the real production quantities out there. Any ideas?

My pricing strategy is the more you buy the cheaper it gets. It's currently down to $6 per pack of 12. At what cost are you happy to pay for? How many mags does the average US owner have?

By the way I'm interested in designing a 10 round version for this but short mags are just not available here. I realize there's a legal restriction in sending mags outside the US but if there's anyone with perhaps a broken 10 rounder who is willing to sell me one (if that makes it legal) I'll be happy to hear from you.

Thanks,

Martin.
The Following User Likes This Post: