View Single Post

Old 09-13-2011, 09:13 PM
SWCA Member

Liked 22,559 Times in 5,844 Posts
Talking

I guess it depends on your definition of Modern. However if I had to pick one. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Back in 1973 I saw a revolver on display in Lew Horton's shop. I fell in love with it but was too young at the time to buy it. I briefly chatted with one of the salesmen and was told that S&W produced 10,000 of this particular Commemorative revolver. So I was not too worried about finding one as soon as I was old enough.

The problem is I was looking at a Deluxe Texas Ranger. Over the years I learned the following

10,000 of the Texas Ranger Commemoratives were produced in three different configurations.

2,000 of those were shipped with just a fitted presentation case and no knife.

The remaining 8,000 had knives with serial numbers matching the revolvers. These came with presentations cases that held the revolver and knife.

Of those 8,000 sets, 50 revolvers were master engraved and sold as Deluxe Texas Ranger Commemoratives. Here is mine

Here is the original tear sheet

It took me 15 years to find the revolver pictured above. I consider myself quite lucky that I found it so fast considering only 50 were produced.