View Single Post

Old 09-13-2011, 11:24 PM

Liked 6,261 Times in 2,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David LaPell View Post
I would also ask what kind of .357 are we talking? Are we talking about another J-frame, a K-frame, a big N-frame or something from another company? You are going to want a cast bullet, 158-160 grains or better doing about 1,300 or better. Keep in mind that you still want to be able to maintain control. The hottest round in the world means nothing if you can't put the bullet on target. Buffalo Bore is ok, just make sure your gun can handle it and that you can accurately put that bullet on target.
I agree the type of .357 does make a huge difference. My guess is the Buffalo Bore ammo exceeds spec's for the .357 round. Some of the big bulky guns like Freedom Arms or even the big clunky Rugers can probably handle it OK. So will the N frame guns.

But remember there's always a trade off. The bigger and heavier the gun, the less likely you are to always carry it. If you select ammo that pounds your hand, or you can't shoot accurately, the less effective it will be.

Most authorities suggest you not use hollow points. The reason being bears are big and fat and tough. They also have heavy bones the bullet may need to break to get to vital area's. In the past, ammo makers offered twin loads in most bullet weights, one a hollow point, the twin being a soft point. If you want to defend yourself against a criminal, you selected the hollow point. For a big mean critter, the soft point was your ticket. And equally good round is a full throttle hard cast bullet.

Depending on your individual revolver, hard cast may be OK, or it may lead your bore miserably.

What I'd do is suggest you scout around and buy a box of 50 brand name rounds. I'd pick 158 grain over the 180s if only because they're easier to find. Then you need to go out on your farm and shoot them up. See if you can hit what you aim at (everyone can't.) As a bonus, it may scare or disturb the bear and convince him other places are more hospitable.

There aren't all that many black bear attacks on humans. When they view a person as a meal, there's very little you can do. He'll be on you like stink on.... never mind. You'll never get the gun out to use it. Bears are big, strong, and fast. I read all I can find on them.

The last one I know about was down in the Smokies. It was a woman who was taken while her husband or companion was fishing down over a hillside. Then when he came back, the bear didn't want to give up his supper. The rangers killed the bear while it was still on the body. Apparently multiple rounds does a good job (just like on humans.)

The folks who classify such things separate bear attacks into predatory attacks, where you're the meal, and protective attacks, where the bear is just protecting its young or an earlier kill. Most of us would be thrilled to see an animal like the one you saw. But I agree with your sense of insecurity and decision to arm yourself with a bigger gun. I think it was in the movie Jaws where the guy said "we're going to need a bigger boat."