View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 03:25 AM

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIPPEQUIP View Post

Point taken on pricing. I haven't mentioned that 25 round magazines here cost $120 a pop! Crazy but true. So for me to have a loop/butt plate at less than 10% the cost of a magazine is justifable. In the US I imagine 25 round mags are between $15-$20?
Mostly right on magazine price, but some deals can be had if buying more than one and depending on where you buy them. I can get them at a gun show for $14-$16 depending on how many I buy--getting a few more in October. I think two things will drive your sales for this particular accessory. First, price is going to drive customers away if they stop and think about a comparable accessory on a 5.56NATO platform. Second, people who own the Magpul Ranger Plates on their 5.56NATO platforms probably bought them thinking they were a "must have", but actually never use them, making them purely an aesthetic item. Some people might buy a few and realize it was not worth it and may not outfit all 100+ mags they own, but as a businessman you will make your money and I wish you the best of luck.

Quote:
My investment in tooling has been expensive and, amortized by a small volume of first production batch of 4 colors, cost still remains high. I am a one man effort unlike Magpul who will have production runs into 10s or 100s of thousand units. Piece costs naturally diminish quite quickly when you're looking at larger volumes (not to mention the demand and brand presence extending beyond real firearms into the airsoft market - since they fit both). My GRIPPS is exclusive to just the 15-22 and I'm still in the unknown about the real production quantities out there. Any ideas?
I understand economics, but I also understand what works for me, which also doesn't translate into "works for everyone else". Your product looks good, but I still think you are going to have a tough sell at the prices I saw in the advertising post. You are taking a risk, and with risk comes reward and that is what business is all about. On quantities you could hope to sell, I really couldn't begin to estimate. One major factor here, aside from quality and price, is the transaction. People in the USA typically do not like doing business overseas, do not like waiting long for shipping or paying a lot for shipping, and one bad shipping experience can result in a bad review which will drive customers away. Make sure the way you get the product to the customer is as seamless and reliable as possible.

Quote:
My pricing strategy is the more you buy the cheaper it gets. It's currently down to $6 per pack of 12. At what cost are you happy to pay for? How many mags does the average US owner have?
I have a total of 15 magazines (10 - 25rd, and 5 - 10rd) and I will be buying more. We buy magazines in the US when they are cheap and we have the money. Sometimes, you might need replacements, whole mags or just parts, and there is no telling what that availability is, so I like to prepare in advance.

Quote:
By the way I'm interested in designing a 10 round version for this but short mags are just not available here. I realize there's a legal restriction in sending mags outside the US but if there's anyone with perhaps a broken 10 rounder who is willing to sell me one (if that makes it legal) I'll be happy to hear from you.
Sorry, I can't help you here. Seriously, I do wish you luck on this endeavor.