View Single Post

Old 09-14-2011, 10:37 AM

Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

Congrats on getting to see a wild black bear even up that close while hiking!! I spend a lot of time, and have for decades, on foot in areas black bears frequent. Now and then I get to watch them BEFORE they sense that I am nearby -- much more often I only hear/see them dashing away. A few times I have watched them for maybe 15 minutes, before they got close enough that a wind eddy took my scent to them -- then they made a max speed dash away. A bear's furry, bouncing-ball butt is a comical sight!! These rare times have all been in fall, when bears were feeding on wild berries.

Mamma black bears with cubs I have only seen from roadside. I don't worry much about bears, unless on horse back -- then you end up with a very agitated horse and plenty to do to keep horse under control and get it away from bear scent.

That "150-lb" black bear is hardly a cub, more like a cub from last year or earlier, and I would not expect mamma bear to even be nearby, much less attack. I have never heard of papa bears being protective of cubs, more like to attack and eat them.

Black bears getting into camp are a very different matter. If you have properly kept food odors and actual food from enticing bears, it is very unlikely you will have a bear problem of any kind. Bears visiting camping sites where they have previously found food can be a serious concern.

In past decades I have often kept a shotgun with large buckshot or slugs at hand in camps where there was a really potential for visiting bears. Other times the gun has been a heavily loaded Ruger SA 45 Colt or 44-40 at hand. Currently, the gun would be a 357 Mag with 180 grain Nosler Partition bullets at about 1000-1100 fps. Sometimes this is a Ruger Blackhawk with 4 5/8 inch barrel, sometimes a S&W M60 with 5 inch barrel. I can shoot either accurately one-handed, either hand, with fairly rapid follow up shots. At point-blank range, that 180 grain Nosler will penetrate deeply and expand. I prefer the M60 because of its DA capability, essential in close range, extreme situations. If bear is not actually at very close range, why are you shooting?

Niklas
The Following User Likes This Post: