View Single Post

Old 09-17-2011, 03:52 AM

Liked 877 Times in 265 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbourneidentity View Post
I am not new to either handguns or shooting, but I am new to revolvers since I have been trained primarily on semi-autos.

My brother is a retiring Arkansas State Trooper and he gave me a superb gift, his older S&W Model 66-1, which he carried on duty for nearly 20 years. He is much older than I and more of a father-figure, so the revolver holds fond memories for me.

It is a superb shooter and my wife absolutely loves to shoot the 66-1. It serves as her home defense handgun when I'm frequently away on business.

I would like to set up our 66 with fiber optic sights. Please forgive my lack of knowledge, but does anyone even make fiber optic sights for an older 66-1? My revolver was likely manufactured around 1979-1980. I've research older 66's, and it's my understanding that newer production revolvers have "pinned" front sights. My revolver does not and is of the older design.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the experts at this forum and any advice you can provide regarding better sights for my 66-1.
First of all I don't consider myself an expert but I'll provide a couple of suggestions based on my experience...

I wouldn't alter the sights on your 66-1 in any way. They are quickly becoming strong collectables and such an alteration would be detrimental to its value IMO.

Once they are altered with anything other than "bolt on" modifications the change is irreversible and the firearms value could pay a heavy price...

Many have added a white outline rear blade to go with the existing red ramp. That would be my choice... I might also suggest you shoot a handgun with iridescent fiber optic sights if you haven't already. I've found the intensity of the brighter sighting picture distracting and others I know have come to the same conclusion...

Just sayin'