Thread: Model 41 Tuning
View Single Post

Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Model 41 Tuning

I'd like to get a good discussion going regarding tuning a Model 41 for accuracy and function. I realize these guns are wonderful as is, but what kind of things have been done to really tune the accuracy. I'd like to hear what you've had done and what the results were. Particularly interested head space adjustments.

I am a new 41 owner as of recently. Been to the range a couple of times with my 79 or 80 model, A-series, no cocking indicator and no idea what the round count may be. Still getting accustomed to things but have been doing some ammo testing off the bags. Pretty amazing results, but definitely getting what appear to be occasional flyers. 25 yards, 10 shots in a semi-touching 1 1/2" group, but an occasional outlier 2 or so inches from the group.

Ammo tested:
CCI SV - excellent function, good groups
CCI Green Tag - excellent function, best groups
Lapua Center X - didn't shoot enough to "normalize" the lube
Aguila Match - horrible function
Federal Premium Target (711B) - good groups, so so function

The flyers very well could be me, but boy, I thought I was concentrating on the shots and didn't expect the flyers. Could be the ammo as well. I've heard people improve their groups by weighing ammo.

I'm interested to know if the head space could have something to do with these results. I attempted to measure this and getting a reading around .060" which, if I've done this correctly seems a little big if an optimal match HS is quoted around .043"

Anyone measured head space on their 41? I'd like to know the procedure for doing this correctly.

Thanks for the feedback.