View Single Post

Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 AM

Liked 27 Times in 16 Posts

I started reloading not to save money, but because I am the sort that has that curiosity about how just about anything is made. That being said, when I'm in the mood for it I love reloading, but it's a real chore if the mood ain't right. I started with a Lee Challenger single stage and actually enjoyed that part of it, then progressed to the Hornady LnLAP, and the hobby started to feel like production work, and I get enough of that at my job. Recently I sold the progressive and bought the Lee Classic Turret and find that I am enjoying it again. I can say this without any reservation, I have never had a bad cartridge come out of my Lee stuff, but can't say that about all the other brands or dies that I've tried. One thing is for absolute certain though, a good single stage press is always handy, even if you end up using progressives for the bulk of reloading.

As an aside, reloading the 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R is a real frustrating endeavor as components are a bit harder to find and most foreign ammo is Berdan primed, so the brass (usually plated steel) is nearly useless outside of scrap value unless you are willing to devote a good deal of time to removing the primers, drilling a flash hole and swaging the primer pocket to accept the smaller diameter Boxer primers available here in the States. You will also need to find reloading information that is specifically tailored for the Garand to keep from destroying that great rifle.