View Single Post

Old 09-18-2011, 04:15 PM

Liked 15,514 Times in 6,800 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBillD View Post
I'm going to make a test run of 4.0 grains (which is beginning according to Lee manual, at least for LSWC), leaving the crimp as is. Then do the same with almost no crimp (it's a Lee FCD, so I'm sure it's a roll. It doesn't have much but when doing the initial set-up with the plated bullets, I had to beat the hell out bullet puller, so more than likely have too much crimp.

Thanks for the advice. I guess that's what makes reloading fun. Experimenting and adjusting.

When I used plated bullets ( a lot of Berrys in semi autos) I loaded them just over midway for FMJ and sometimes almost max as they were not going over 1200 fps. In revolvers without a crimp they are gonna move on you or if you crimp to much it will break through the plating. When you "hammered out the bullets did you see a crimp formed, was the plating cracked??? As you have so many bullets (and they are good bullets) invest in a Lee taper die for the 38/357. It's cheap.$10.

Or just experiment with the die you have, crimp just a little and pull the bullet you should see just a slight ring (crimp groove) starting, adjust untill it is just about cracking the plating and back off a little. You are basically making your own cannelure in the bullet.

Hornady #8 lists for the 158 gr xtp FMJ bullet and HP 38/W 231 a range of start 3.7 to max of 4.9.grains.

No, your bullet is not the XTP which has a cannelure but the max FPS is 800 out of 4" SW. So midway is 4.3 grains.