View Single Post

Old 09-18-2011, 08:10 PM

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill_Country View Post
Lasers are one of those things that people seem to really like or really dislike. I really like them and one of my few complaints with the 3gen Smiths is the unavailability of a CT laser for anything except the 5900 series. Repeated inquiries to Crimson Trace convinced me that they had no intention of doing anything about it, so the thought of cutting down a 5900 CT laser to fit one of my compact frames has been kicking around my mind for a long time.

I chose to start with a 5900 CT laser on a 6906 because they are both double-stacks and I thought it would be a simple matter of cutting off the excess part of the grip and using the existing retention pin hole, but it didn't work out quite the way I expected. (Seems like few of my projects do. <G>) There are a few small differences in the 5900 and 6900 frame design - nothing big, but it wasn't a drop in, either. What I thought would be a simple weekend project has taken nearly two months, but I couldn't be happier with the results.

The 6906 has a good feel in my hand - seems solid compared to my CS9 or 908, except that the decocker on the 6906 is just a little awkward for me with the stock grips. The shape of the CT grip is very similar to the stock S&W grip, but it is just enough different somewhere that the decocker/safety lever just falls naturally under my thumb much as the single-stacks do - that was an unexpected benefit.

I haven't taken it to the range, yet, but the laser dot is just a hair right and below the iron sights at all ranges so I'm optimistic that it won't take much to get zeroed.

Here's a couple of photos - please excuse the dirt on the grips as it was getting hot in my shop and I wanted to get out of there. I'll try to get some more photos after I get to the range and get the grips cleaned up.

And, yes, I'm thinking of doing the same thing for the single-stacks, but that gets really complicated - it will be a while.
I can't say how many posts you've read regarding 6906's, but there's a HUGE demand at this site for laser grips for it. And a lot of disappointment at not being able to find any.

Might want to give some thought to the demand. Probably would be worth more than a few bucks to you. And I could be counted in.