View Single Post

Old 09-19-2011, 06:33 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,373 Times in 6,009 Posts
Default A classic .22 auto rifle: the Browning!

I'm starting to put together an article on a rifle that's been around long enough to be called a classic - the Browning .22 Automatic. I thought you might be interested in some facts on this little rifle.

It was designed by John Browning and first marketed way back in 1914. Fabrique Nationale made them for the European market, and Remington sold them in this country as the Remington Model 24. Early models had a loading port in the top of the wrist of the stock; later models load through a port on the right hand side of the stock, near the center of mass of the stock. They've been made in both .22 LR and .22 Short. I remember shooting one as a gallery rifle at a state fair back when I was a kid in the '50s.

The Remington Model 24 was made in the U.S. from 1919 to 1935. FN started importing their version to the U.S. from Belgium in 1956, and continued to do so through 1974. Then in 1976, production was handed off to Miroku in Japan, and current manufacture still originates from there.

The little rifle is trim and smooth. It's a takedown design, easily disassembled into two parts without tools at the juncture of the barrel and receiver via an interrupted thread arrangement. The tightness of the joint there can be adjusted.

Ejection is downward from the bottom of the receiver, making it suitable for either left or right-handed people, and keeping gasses and debris from striking the shooter's face. The Belgian examples feature hand checkering of the stock and hand engraving on the sides of the receiver. Japanese versions have machine-initiated checkering and engraving. The rifle holds 11 .22 LR cartridges in the tubular magazine, and the rounds feed from the top of the bolt; a unique feature as far as I can determine. Several grades have been made, varying in stock finish and engraving, some with special metal finishes and inlays.

Over half a million of these little jewels have been sold since 1914, and the rifle is still regarded as one of the best autoloading .22s out there. John Browning was reputed to have been very proud of this particular creation of his. This "Grade I" example was made by FN back in 1959 - it's darn near eligible for Social Security, but it still shoots great! The rifles have never been cheap, but they exude quality throughout.

Perhaps some of you have one or more of these rifles - post some pics if you do!

John