View Single Post

Old 09-20-2011, 08:29 AM

Liked 127 Times in 53 Posts
Default Another 686 Serial Number Question

I promise that I did a lot of searches before starting this new thread. If the answer is "out there" somewhere, I couldn't find it!

I recently purchased a Model 686 w/ 4" barrel. The cylinder yoke is stamped with a "686" (no dash) and a "M" (recall upgrades completed). So, as I have been showing off my 'new" purchase I have been identifying it as a 686 no dash model.

However, while searching and learning more about my 686 I found the following information that shows the timeframe and upgrades performed for each of the first few 686's Engineering changes:

Quote:
The 686 was introduced in the 1980 as the S&W Model 686 Distinguished Combat Magnum Stainless. It featured flash-chromed, forged hammer and trigger, and had a 6-shot cylinder.

-1 (1986): radius stud package, introduction of the floating hand.

The "M" recall (1987) for the no-dash and -1 guns was to fit a new hammer nose and firing pin bushing to deal with certain brands of ammo causing (potentially fatal) binding when fired.

-2 (1987) incorporated the "M" recall features as standard production.
Here is where I am confused:

The serial number for my 686 is AUE6252. I don't have the S&W reference book, but from my research I am pretty sure my 686 was manufactured sometime in '87. Could mine still be a "no dash" that late in production?? Were the "-1" and "-2" versions not stamped with the dash? What version do I have?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Last edited by MacA; 09-20-2011 at 04:53 PM. Reason: fixed S/N