Thread: Model 41 Tuning
View Single Post

Old 09-20-2011, 10:12 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSauer View Post
Thanks for the reply's guys.

I'm curious - what is considered good accuracy with the model 41 off a rest. I assume most folks don't have a Ransom, so as most of us do with sand bags.

Perhaps I'm just not a very good shot.
SS..
Really good .22s will drop down into a 1/2 inch or less at 50. Eley red box is the best, if you are serious about the best possible accuracy. The tightest shooting barrels I have found are those which are relined. Lothar Walther liners are superb... Machined barrels induce unnecessary stress. The 41 barrel configuration is heavily machined, thin at the underside, and heavy on the top and sides. Stress is unavoidable when the disparity in material is that great.. The liner, if installed properly, is free floating, or suspended, and stress free. Chambering should compliment the Eley cartridge, or the ammo you chose to shoot..Have reamers custom ground to the ammo specs..not SAAMI specs. No two manufacturers are mirror images of the other. Therefore two, three, or what ever number of different ammos, will not chamber the same.. .043 is considered a good over all headspace. I will go tighter on competitors who are mindfull of their ammo. This is a "very" brief outline of what makes 41s & .22s in general shoot well. The 41 is a great baseline to build a competition target pistol upon..
Good luck
Jerry