View Single Post

Old 09-23-2011, 06:52 AM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

I'm beginning to see a disturbing trend here...another member with a model 442 had the same issue:

S & W service dept......"Don't clean 642 revolver with Hoppes"

And here was my response:

Quote:
Scratch one model of S&W for me. For those that get wound up about the IL and MIM parts, that means nothing to me. But this one is a non-negotiable (for me). I had a nickel plated 8 3/8" Model 27 for about ten years, and always cleaned it with Hoppe's. I sold it (stupidly) for more than I paid as it looked new and hardly fired some ten years later. My grandfather introduced me to Hoppe's in 1972; his experience with it was as a machine gun platoon leader in WWI and and Infantryman for thirty six years, and swore by the stuff. I'm a retired Infantryman myself, and swear by it also; I cleaned M16s, M1911s, M60s, M240s, M9s, M4s, etc. (you get the idea) with it for years, with excellent results.

Tell me I can't use Hoppe's No. 9 to clean a firearm? May as well tell me I can't drink German beer.
As much as I would like to own a Governor, I don't see any reason to change my opinion. If a firearm is damaged in any way by Hoppe's, quality control alarm bells sound in my old retired brain.