View Single Post

Old 09-24-2011, 07:37 AM

Liked 656 Times in 307 Posts

Well, I am not shocked at the dismissal of new S&W's as furthering evidence of poor quality control or cheaper construction methods. It is clearly opinion, however, and not borne from fact. Hoppes #9 is ammoniated - that's how it removes copper residue - and the copper substrate on the worn edges of that old nickel plated revolver, causing it's nickel plating to bubble and peel (... and you thought it was just old!). It also has a propensity to soften water-based lacquer clearcoat and even Melonite finishes. Knowing this now - is a good thing!

I have always connoted the smell of Hoppes #9 as being that of a clean firearm. I will still clean my SS and blued firearms with it - I still have a small supply. I will find Hoppes 'Elite' and try it on my alloy firearms, now including a 296 & 642 - and - my one in Melonite - the Governor. I understand S&W's caution against ammoniated solvent use on any S&W - a broad paint stroke is easier to implement than a touch up brush. Besides, I'll bet that they are tired of refinishing 442's & 642's for free!

Stainz