View Single Post

Old 09-24-2011, 02:27 PM
US Veteran

Liked 542 Times in 218 Posts

Quote:
For those of you who plan to avoid buying a specific model of S&W because the use of ammoniated solvents is not recommended...the S&W manual states:

"Ammoniated solvents or other strong alkaline solvents, should not be used on any Smith & Wesson firearm."
Well then, S&W is just setting itself up for disaster if all that is true as I would guess that few know that Hoppe's contains "ammoniated solvents", or that it can damage the finish on all S&W models. It's been around for as long as most models of S&Ws (and many others) since the early part of the 20th Century. And I'm not "dismissing" models of S&Ws, but I am certainly calling into question a finish that is damaged by one of the very best solvents on the market. I've tried dozens of military grade and civilian solvents on just about any type of finish you can name, Hoppe's is hand's down the very best. If the Governor (or any other model for that matter) can't handle the best solvent around, then here's my version of the Governor; a seventy-five year old Sauer drilling; 16gax16gax8mm Mauser. Good for just about anything you might ever want to shoot from rats to elephants and guess what; it just loves Hoppe's!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Koch Drilling.jpg (44.1 KB, 52 views)