View Single Post

Old 09-24-2011, 03:10 PM

Liked 3,927 Times in 2,366 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamlayton View Post
Well--I am reading.
I do communicate so poorly.
I will post the question differently.
Without consideration of wanting to experiment I follow the manuals.
What, in the composition of a primer, is the primary concern for the bullet and powder being used---is it pressure or complete burning of the powder.
I understand that the faster powder is burned the more pressure it builds.
Dane Burns is a Gunsmith of some good reputation and considered, by most, to be a real authority on the 9x23 and the reloading and development of this cartridge.
I follow his advice.
The primer does more than ignite powder--it directs/starts a controlled explosion.
The critical issues--even the low powered .45--is what I am trying to understand.
I am not trying to re-invent a wheel.
Blessings
It's not that you can't use diff primers, it's just that you need to work your load up accordingly. Specialty roudns, like the 9x23, will have completely diff reloading criteria & may be completely safe using rifle primers. Stuffing them into 40 loads w/o working up could easily cause a KB. Again, there are hazards to using high powered rifle primers in pistol loads. Just because a gunsmith says this or that doesn't eman he is right. Many good gunsmith's know little about ballistics or reloading. The general rule of using components in printed data should be followed as closely as possible, especially when loading near the top end.