View Single Post

Old 09-24-2011, 10:05 PM

Liked 50 Times in 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MackTech View Post
My Grandfather (Pappy)was in WWII in the Battle of the Bulge. He saw serious combat and even hand to hand fighting at times. He never told many stories to me, as I only asked when I was a kid. He did take lots of pictures but would only show me very few as most were of the dead and lot were of concetration camps that he liberated ( I did get a glimps of them). He did alot of communication work, tapping onto the wires along railroad tracks and using them as signal/telephone wires. One night him and his partner had to follow the train tracks to locate a break in the wire. Pappy had an M-1 carbine, a 1911 on his right hip and a 2" barreled S&W 38 in his left front pants pocket. They found the broken wire and while fixing it a German 20 man patrol walked up to them . Pappy and his partner saw them aproach and laid down by the tracks, there was no exit so they made a plan to capture them. When Pappy jumped up and spoke in german for them to surrender, they all dropped their guns. When Pappy turned to look for his partner he was gone, running back to camp! Pappy marched his prisoners back to camp and won a shiney new medal for his actions. He did bring back the S&W, a mint 1918 Luger and a 1903 springfield. He still has them all. Pappy is in very poor health now at 92. I will see him on Saturday. I will try to get some info on the Smith.
Amazing story. Thanks for sharing it with us. My best to your Pappy.