View Single Post

Old 09-24-2011, 11:15 PM
Banned

Liked 576 Times in 307 Posts

Okay, we are possibly talking about two different animals here folks so, let us clarify.

Feral pigs are not the same as wild boar. The wild boar hunting that goes on is usually on a ranch of some kind and you are shooting at, well, most of the time, Russian hogs. Russian hogs are not that hard to kill either BUT, large, mature boars can have a tough "plate" around the neck to front leg area. It is there to protect them from deep cuts during fights with other boar.

Feral pigs may not have that same "plate" and hey, there are girls that crawl up on them and stick them with knives. How hard can it be?

I have been on two hog hunts. On either hunt, my 44Mag Marlin worked just fine. The first one was shot on the run, at 40 yards, going from my right to left. Kind of natural, really. Dropped right there. 250lb sow. Son #2 took one with a 30/06 and so did the wife. They too, DRT.

Second hunt, same type of rifle, Hornady 240gr XTP @ 1800fps. Shot long ways through a 150lb wild pig from in front of left shoulder through to right rear leg. Oh, it was about 50 yards or so, but it completely destroyed the rear quarter of the animal.

So, not too hard to kill. If you are going for ones over 200lbs and you aren't sure what kind of shot you are going to get, take a rifle. A good handgun cartridge carbine, like Paul uses in 357Mag or one like my Marlin or Ruger in 44Mag will work just fine. Kills the animal dead, while some may not care because they are pest, I do. I want a clean kill. No sense in anything suffering even if you don't eat it.

We are planning on another trip soon, maybe early next year. If we do, I will post pictures and relay the story so we all can enjoy it. Do a search of this section of the forum too, I have other threads about my previous hunts.

Lots of fun, stalking them is a rush. Wife went on the second hunt with me too. She is my best friend and hunting "buddy".