View Single Post

Old 09-25-2011, 08:01 AM

Liked 78 Times in 51 Posts

If your intent is to kill them because they are a nuisance or to eat (yumm) rather than handgun hunt them for the sport, and a 357 Mag is what you want to use, I think a Marlin lever action in 357 Mag would be ideal. A good heavy for caliber (170gr+) hardcast WFNGC bullet loaded with a full charge of Lil'Gun or WW296 would be just dandy. Plenty of penetration and wound channel power there, with lots of velocity gain over the 4" revolver. Plus greater hit potential in the right area. No doubt a 4" 686 will work with the right load, circumstances and skill on the part of the hunter, but the other is likely more effective. Besides, if you are going to use a handgun against wild hogs, it should be a single action! It is Texas afterall, so if it ain't a levergun, a single action gets there in style.

(e/t/a -- I would add though that if you do try a Marlin 1894, or a Win 94 or Browning 92 for that matter, be mindful of cartridge OAL if using 357 Mag with heavy for caliber bullets in it. Some will not feed well. No such trouble with a 686, or even better a Model 27!)

Last edited by VAdoublegunner; 09-25-2011 at 08:16 AM.