View Single Post

Old 09-25-2011, 10:31 AM

Liked 209 Times in 58 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie View Post
Them's pretty revolvers!...I gotta get me a digital camera..

I own several BP revolvers myself..currently have a Pietta Navy..a Pietta stainless Remington .44 clone..and a Navy Arms .44 Navy I bought battered and broken and fixed up. I've owned others too in brass and steel

This Third Model Dragoon is my first Uberti(excepting some Colt clone cartridge guns)..and I'm fairly impressed with its quality. It even has safety pins on the back end of the cylinder(I added pins to my Pietta Navy).

Of the Italian BP revolvers I've owned...the overall quality of most of them has been pretty poor..The stainless Pietta Rem clone being about the best I've had..the Pietta Remington being very good..considerably better made than it's same make Colt Navy brother.

I have high hopes for the rather large Uberti clone..really seems well done.

Think I'll order a box of .454 and .457 balls and just see what will cram into the cylinder plus preform well.
As a general rule the Uberti guns are better quality than Pietta. But there are exceptions. The Le Mat in my last post was made by Pietta for Navy Arms and it`s the best fitted and best finished black powder revolver I`ve ever run across.
But as I said, it`s the exception, not the rule. Most Pietta made guns are functional, but a little rough and crude. If you want to under cut the other guys on price, quality takes a hit. And that`s exactly the route Pietta has gone with most of their guns.

Here are some other Pietta and Uberti made guns.

Pietta 1861 Navy Colt .36, 1858 Remington .44 and Star .44 DA.

Uberti made 1851 Navy Conversion .38 Special, Uberti SAA .45, Mitchell SAA .45, and a Navy Arms 1875 Remington .357 revolving carbine.