Thread: Model 41 Tuning
View Single Post

Old 09-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Jerry

Can you explain the extractor tuning? I am aware of bending the extractor for a tighter or possibly longer grip on the case.

I have a couple of older 41's that are only 100% with Fioche 320 or some HVs which I do not want to use. CCI SVs are worthless. I recently put a Clark barrel on one of the guns and it acts exactly like the SW barrel so I assume the issue is with the slide?
Heavy clouds and rain block my sattelite signal.. Sorry for the late reply..

Hamden;
Camout is a term that describes the effect upon the extractor by the radius machined into the breechface of the barrel. It pushes or cams the extractor away from the base of the cartridge at lock up..The timing of this action is often incorrect. The radius, if not matched exactly between the extractor and barrel can cause function issues. Often the extractor will deadhead against the radius at 11 or 12 oclock, looking down on the radius, and retard the closing of the breech. Instead to pushing the extractor out, it exerts force back against the plunger and spring. A sure source of light hits.. An angle, on the other hand, always exerts force 90 degrees to the direction of slide travel. It is very easy to time and control cam out, because you are working with a constant.
Leonard:
Not to any way discredit Austin Behlert, who published the technique of bending the extractor some years ago. I believe now, it is more productive to avoid bending. Bending aggrevates the cam out and timing issues mentioned above. The .22 rim provides a mere .023 edge for the extractor to grip and hold. The radius at the juncture of cartridge body and rim, varies greatly from one manufacturer to the other.. Often the reason why one functions when the other will not. The gap between the extractor and breechface should be held at minimum, and be 90 degrees to the breechface..with polisshed radii to allow smooth feeding. I have better success with a small flat on the tip, as opposed to a sharp, pointed extractor. It holds and stablizes the empty case better.. Also often overlooked, is the counterbore in the breechblock.. If the face is battered and worn, it may not be providing enough support to the empty case, causing even the best extractor to lose its grip.
On S&W barrels/ accuracy..
I have seen many stock bore diameters gage at .214/ .215 They may or may not shoot well.. I feel it is too tight for extreme accuracy. Bores this tight, cause too much surface disruption to the projectile. .216/.217 is far more desireable if precision B/E shooting is your pursuit.. I also feel that land width is too wide for super accuracy for the same reasons..

Good luck
Jerry